Contributing Author: Linus Ohuru
It would be interesting to see Former CIA Director Mike Pompeo face off with his former boss, Former President Donald Trump, for the GOP ticket in 2024.
Pompeo inaugurated the Champion American Values PAC to assist Republicans vying in 2022, including aspirants in the Senate and House, and these meetings may help him raise cash for his 2024 presidential ambitions.
Analysts believe that Pompeo’s strategy to becoming a formidable GOP candidate may be working because after the 2020 presidential elections, he has been making noteworthy moves into the New York donor circles.
Pompeo has vast experience as a CIA director and a 70th secretary of state, which may help him address any political conversation involving national security or foreign affairs. Yet, foreign policy analysts and several State Department members argue that Pompeo’s leadership approach replicates Trump’s style, precisely when solving foreign matters. In 2020, Pompeo surprised many with his speech at the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum in Yorba Linda, California. His doublespeak strategy aiming for a win-win result may significantly impact his chance to ascend to the presidency.
In the speech, Pompeo notably articulated that the US will foster a free world while undermining and alienating the free world. His critics believe that he praises the Chinese populace while generalizing regarding the alleged ill intentions of Chinese students who dream about joining the US’s world-class universities and colleges.
As a close ally of Former President Trump, Pompeo’s decision to run and win the GOP primaries may depend on Trump’s decision to run for the presidency in 2024. Given his influence on Trump’s administration and legacy, including the foreign policy agenda, other contestants, including Senator Tim Scott, should not underestimate Pompeo’s chances of winning the GOP ticket.
Date of Birth:
• December 30, 1963
• Orange, California
• Married Leslie Libert in 1986, divorced in 1997. Married Susan Justice Mostrous in 2000, Pompeo’s current spouse.
• Pompeo graduated first in his class from the United States Military Academy at West Point, where he majored in engineering management. In 1994, Pompeo earned a Juris Doctor from Harvard Law School, where he was an editor of the Harvard Law Review and the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy.
• Christian – Presbyterian.
Mike Pompeo’s Biggest Strength:
• International relations and national intelligence.
Mike Pompeo’s Biggest Weakness:
• Close ties to the Trump administration, which may hamper his ability to attract moderate Republicans and independent voters.
Political Record as Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Kansas’s 4th district
Mike Pompeo’s Voting Record on Abortion:
• Pompeo signed the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act in 2011.
• Pompeo signed Prohibition on Funding to United Nations Population Fund.
• Pompeo co-sponsored Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act.
Mike Pompeo’s Voting Record on Taxes and Government Spending:
• Pompeo voted for the H.R. 1105 – Death Tax Repeal Act in favor of fully repealing the federal estate tax, better known to most as the “death tax”. Not only does the death tax represent double (or more) taxation of an individual’s property and belongings, it can also destroy individually owned family farms and small businesses.
•Pompeo Voted for the H.R. 2560 – Cut, Cap, and Balance Act of 2011 to which would cut total spending for FY2012 by $111 billion, cap total federal spending, and require the passage of a Balanced Budget Amendment to the U.S. Constitution that includes a super-majority requirement to raise taxes and a limit on spending before the debt limit can be raised.
Mike Pompeo’s Voting Record on 2nd Amendment Gun Rights and Gun Control:
• Pompeo Voted for House Amendment 1098 in 2014, to Prohibit the District of Columbia from Implementing Certain Firearm Laws.
• Pompeo Voted for HR 822 in 2011, to Require State Reciprocity for Carrying Concealed Firearms.
Mike Pompeo’s Voting Record on Immigration:
Mike Pompeo’s Voting Record on Medicaid, Medicare and Healthcare:
Mike Pompeo’s Rating from Conservative Organizations:
American Family Association: 100%
Federation for American Immigration Reform: 100%
Gun Owners of America: 90%
Heritage Action for America: 82%