Former Congressman Will Hurd, who represented Texas’ 23rd Congressional District, is among the earliest potential Republican candidates generating speculation that he may run in the 2024 Republican Presidential Primary Election.
Hurd built his reputation as an independent thinker who didn’t bend to the will of the staunch Trump loyalists in the GOP.
Will Hurd’s Congressional Record Includes:
In 2019, Hurd was one of seven Republicans to break with the Trump administration’s position and vote with Democrats to end a government shutdown.
Will Hurd’s Record on Major Issues:
• Supported pro-life legislation.
Economics and Taxes:
• Supported lowering taxes as a means of promoting economic growth.
• Opposed income tax increases.
• Supported building the Keystone XL Pipeline.
• Opposed the federal regulation of greenhouse gas emissions.
• Opposed federal spending that doesn’t benefit the military or state security.
• Supported 2nd Amendment and opposes gun control legislation.
• Supported efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act, better known as “Obamacare.”
• Political Wire at https://politicalwire.com/2022/03/28/will-hurd-mulls-a-2024-presidential-bid/
• The Atlantic at https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/03/will-hurd-2024-book/629398/
• USA Today at https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/columnists/2022/03/29/donald-trump-ginni-thomas-black-republican/7169535001/?gnt-cfr=1
• Texas Tribune at https://www.texastribune.org/2019/09/26/texas-rep-will-hurd-says-hes-considering-running-president-2024/
• Politico at https://www.politico.com/newsletters/the-recast/2022/03/25/will-hurd-republican-2024-memoir-congress-elections-00020529